- Coffee, have lots of it. Sleep, need more. Stress, cut it out please. Oh, laughter makes it all seem better.
- Words: My life is about writing, journalism. And at a twice-a-month newspaper, doing some freelance writing, blogging here, and doing countless emails and comments and Tweets each day.... my mind kinda melts when I think of how many words I must create each week. Sometimes, I just want to stop writing and not craft letters together.
- But one combination of words that made me smile -> "cartoon ninja throwing spammers." That was a search time for my blog recently, and it made me grin. While I'm assuming this searcher meant to search for "spanners" or those ninja-hand tools, I couldn't help but picture it the way it was written. And yes, I do often want to throw email and tweet-feed spammers around... and having a ninja do it would be golden.
- #simonpalooza. Two continents. Three states. An awesome Australian and many many friends. What more can one say??? Yes, I am traveling TODAY to Kansas City to meet with Simon, who is traveling to the U.S. for the first time ever. There's about two dozen of us in the Midwest, traveling from that area and surrounding states, and the epic adventures are guaranteed. Some tweeting is expected, so watch for common hashtags: #simonpalooza #BluntLancet #imintheband ... craziness will ensue. Follow some of us, including the star @STroyCrow over on Twitter. Blogging updates will be following before long, too.
|Sadly, our last Tigers game back in 2009|
- Detroit: GO TIGERS!!! You knocked off those NY Yankees in the single-elimination Game 5 on Thursday evening, and now you advance to the American League Championship Series (ALCS). And of course, that first game is on Saturday... while above-mentioned #simonpalooza is ongoing. I'm a proud Detroit import, and am wearing the D logo with pride. Here's to hopefully getting to the World Series for the first time since 2006!
- I love my wife, and while I'm very excited to be getting away for a weekend from real-life to hang with some great friends, I am sad to be away from her. She is one of my heroes, and I don't tell her that enough. Except on special occasions such as our anniversary, the sixth we celebrated back on Sept. 24. Miss you, but see you soon!
|Who's that? Dean Martin and a Barelli sister...?|
- All of this talk about Detroit, hanging with my wife, and relaxing to watch some good TV made me reflect back on the recent three-part PBS series Prohibition... which we watched with interest and absolutely enjoyed. See, we grew up in Southeast Michigan in the suburbs not far from Detroit - our roots are there. I love history in general, and topics such as The Purple Gang from that era fascinate me. In fact, this all took us back to our days in the D and even a Halloween gathering about a decade ago where we donned our 1920s attire - we were straight out of the Prohibition era! Since it's now October and Halloween is quickly approaching, this seems like a good time to toss out into the public realm some photo evidence. See, there I am, a muckraking newspaperman with flask in hand with my lovely flapper by my side! And yes... I still own that hat.
Um, I think that's it. And my clock is after midnight... and all appears OK. Just gotta go downstairs and make sure there's no Gremlins hiding out in the kitchen.
So that's that.
Happy Weekend, my friends. See you on the flipside of KC!