That's the topic of Day 5 of this Diabetes Blog Week 2015.
Taking a cue from Adam Brown's recent post, write a post documenting what you eat in a day! Feel free to add links to recommended recipes/shops/whatever. Make it an ideal day or a come-as-you-are day – no judgments either way.
We have been trying to eat healthier and tone down our carb intake, a combination of overall interest in just losing weight and being healthy but also for me to navigate blood sugar swings that so often accompany carb-saturated meals. I've been inspired by D-peeps sharing more of their stories, and it's been a slow process putting this into practice... one mostly hindered by my lack of willpower. But, that's a work in progress and we do our best each day.(Thank you, Katy of Bigfoot Child Have Diabetes for this topic.)
As this morning began, I realized two things:
1. I hadn't prepared a post for today, and
2. No clue what I was going to eat throughout the day.
3. We hadn't gone grocery shopping since returning home earlier this week, after several days away.
So, that pretty much meant I would take it as it came at me, doing a sort of play-by-play on food as the meal goes by. This is a normal Friday workday at the home office, with scattered phone calls and nothing overly pressing that will draw my attention. So, the food shouldn't be too tough to navigate.
I'll update this throughout the day with the latest food.
- Dannon Light&Fit Greek Yogurt, my last blueberry flavored one. 8g of carb.
- A small handful of dried cranberries mixed into my yogurt, equalling about half of one-third a cup. So, probably 15g
- Black coffee, nothing polluting it. (my 2nd cup, and many more to follow)
Post-breakfast Update (8:40a):
Damn it. Part of the whole reason I did "good" at breakfast was to not have too many carbs and raise my BG... but then I forgot to bolus for my yogurt and cranberries. So much for a flat line after breakfast... Figures.
And I'm hungry again. Great.
Oh Screw it, a 2nd breakfast, it is... (9a):
Luna protein bar, chocolate PB flavor. 19g of carb. And more coffee.
An hour or 90 minutes until lunch... yep, this Low isn't going to work for me. Juicebox time! 24g of applejuice through a straw.
And a small handful of PB trail mix with M&Ms. Because. +10g of carbs (I'm guessing.)
Salad on the Go from Panera Bread (my wife rocks for picking this up on her lunch hour!)
- Cobb Salad with Avocado, Half Order with Greek dressing. 7g
- Baguette: I had planned for an apple, but this bread appeared in the box and it's here now, calling to me... so what the hell. After that earlier Low blood sugar pre-lunch, I'm eating it. 36g
Unfortunately, I'm out of Diet Coke. So, a bottle of water it is.
So, breaking news not only delayed dinner, but it nixed the plan for either Taco Night or the contender B'Dubs for some beer and wings. Instead, fast-food snuck its way into the house...
No clue what the carb count is on this, and I don't care enough to look it up online. So, I'm going with a Scientific Wild Ass Guess (SWAG) and going with 80g for the turlkey bacon ranch wrap, a pair of potato cakes, and a chocolate turnover.
Plus, a Michigan-made Founder's All Day IPA to help me welcome in the Friday evening.
And that, is my Friday Food Play By Play.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - -
Others are sharing some food for thought (pun, served!) today, so make sure to check out their posts and also keep tabs on the #DBlogWeek hashtag on Twitter.